When something goes wrong with your plumbing, it’s always a good idea to just get professional plumbing services to fix things for you. After all, they have the tools and expertise that you most likely don’t have. If you fiddle around with the plumbing with your meager DIY experience, you most likely won’t fix it as quickly (or as well) as the pros can. In fact, you might make things worse.
There are plenty of factors you need to consider when you pick a plumber. You should get one who’s been in the business for a long while now, and of course you should check prices too. You should also Google their name so at least you can check that they’re not wanted by the police or have a criminal record. But you should also make sure that they’re licensed.
Why is this license so important? Here are some reasons you need to consider:
1. You can make sure that they’re not criminals. When a plumber is licensed, it means that they’ve gone through a very thorough background check. That’s important, because you’re letting in a stranger inside your home. Ask to see the license and then go online to check the person’s identity. You can also double-check with the company the plumber works for.
2. A licensed plumber means they’ve received the proper training. This isn’t a person who just learned things watching YouTube videos or had a dad or uncle who fixed the plumbing in the house while they were growing up. Plumbing is a serious job that requires years of schooling. In some areas, plumbers have to go through a basic course as well as pass a licensing test. They may even be required to go through continuous education courses to familiarize themselves with new systems and tools.
3. Licensed plumbers are generally able to fix things better than any amateur handyman. This means they won’t make things work which is always a risk when you try to do things yourself or you let a friend fix things for you. These plumbers have the expertise that others don’t have.
4. These licensed plumbers are also good enough that things get fixed much more quickly. Lots of plumbing problems need to be fixed as quickly as possible, so that life can go back to normal at home. When your plumbing problems include a toilet that won’t work properly, you can quickly discover how life can become truly unpleasant. The same goes when you have a broken shower—going to work without taking a shower is severely frowned upon!
5. Licensed plumbers are also insured. Did you know that if you get a neighbor to help fix the toilet and they get hurt, and you may be liable for their injuries? You may not realize this, but fixing plumbing issues can result in some injuries. When someone gets hurt in your home, you may be held responsible for their medical expenses.
But since licensed plumbers are already insured, you’re free and clear even if they get hurt. Their insurance covers their medical expenses and you won’t be held responsible. That’s why you should confirm that the plumber is insured. Get their insurance documentation and call the insurance company to check that the plumber is indeed covered by the insurer.